If A Veteran Has No Legal Resident Number

5-Star Average Customer Review


Don’t have a Legal Resident Number? Know Your Options

Many people find it surprising that a lot of non-US citizens or aliens have served honorably in the US military. If you are a non-resident service member and didn’t request discharge from service during a period of war and received a service discharge other than dishonorable, you are usually eligible for various veterans’ benefits or compensation. 

However, if you are a non-citizen veteran but don’t have a legal resident number, you may face some issues getting the benefits you deserve. If you don’t have a permanent resident number, Veterans Help Group can help you make the best decision and secure the benefits you are entitled to receive.

Can You Receive Disability Benefits if You Are a Legal Permanent Resident?

This depends on what type of benefit you are applying for. You probably know that there are two main disability benefits. These are Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Disability Insured Benefits (DIB). And if you’re applying for DIB and you’ve enough work credits to be eligible for DIB benefits, then your immigration status won’t keep you from receiving benefits.  

You will be pleased to know that veterans and active service duty members of the United States Armed forces can receive SSI. However, if you are a non-citizen veteran without a legal resident number and your claim was denied, Veterans Help Group can help you in many ways.

Expedite the Naturalization Process

If you don’t have a permanent resident number or are not a US citizen and your disability claim was denied by the VA, Veterans Help Group can help you secure the benefits using the best legal option. For example, special legal provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) permit US Citizenship and Immigration Services to speed up the application and naturalization process for both current members of the armed forces and military veterans.

In most cases, qualifying military service means service with any one of the following:

  • Navy
  • Army
  • Air Force
  • Marine Corps
  • National Guard
  • Coast Guard

Apply for, Replace, or Renew Your Green Card

If you are a non-citizen veteran or service member but don’t have a permanent resident number and your disability claim was denied, you can apply for, replace or renew your green card.

Green Card (also known as Permanent Resident Card) is essential to get VA disability benefits as it:

After receiving your Permanent Resident Card, you will increase your chances of obtaining disability benefits, and the VA is less likely to deny your claim.

Veterans Help Group recognizes and commends the hard work that our veterans, active service members, and military spouses undertake to protect our country. Our VA advocates and legal representatives also recognize that veterans and spouses, and children have unique and enduring challenges and health issues that threaten their well-being and livelihoods, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, migraine, service-related disabilities, and even homelessness.

We are committed to assisting veterans in dealing with and overcoming these issues and challenges. Our advocates are ready to help veterans and their families or spouses with:

  • Receiving or preserving benefits like Supplemental Security Income, Veterans Administration benefits, and Social Security Disability Income
  • Protecting veterans from any disability discrimination because of their non-resident status

Do You Need US Citizenship to Get Social Security Disability and VA Benefits?

You should know that immigrants who are permanent US residents or legally present foreign employees and have paid relevant taxes into the Social Security system are usually eligible for various disability benefits.

As a veteran, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) as an alternative to or in conjunction with VA disability payments. Veterans can also use the Medicare and Medicaid health benefits that usually come with SSI/SSDI in order to supplement VA health services.

Initiatives to Facilitate Resident Aliens Serving in the Armed Forces

Note that President Bush’s Executive Order No. 13269 made it simpler for some resident aliens who served in any branch of the US military to become American citizens. Before this executive order, military applicants needed at least three years of military service in order to qualify for citizenship. However, now a service member needs just one day of honorable active-duty service either on or since Sep 11, 2001.

Also, on Jul 2, 2021, the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) started working with the Department of Homeland Security and various other partners and associates to identify deported veterans to make sure they can obtain VA benefits or compensation they might be entitled to receive.

Assessing a Permanent Resident’s Eligibility for Disability Benefits – What Factors are Considered

If you are a veteran, have a DD Form 214, and were released from active military duty under other than dishonorable conditions, you have the right to benefits or compensation for disability regardless of your citizenship.

However, you should know that the benefits or compensation that lawful permanent residents (LPRs) can get will depend on various factors, including:

  • When the LPR received permanent resident status
  • How the LPR received permanent resident status
  • The county that the LPR lives in

The good news is that an LPR in any of the following categories can benefit from special and usually more generous rules:

  • US military veteran
  • Active duty member of the US military
  • Spouse or partner of a member of the US military
  • Surviving children of a deceased member of the US military
  • Surviving, un-remarried spouse or partner of a deceased member of the US military

As you can see, as a veteran, you can benefit from higher compensation and benefits.

Special US Citizenship Rights for US Veterans and Military Personnel

Are you a former or current member of the US military? If you are a non-citizen veteran but don’t have a legal resident number and the VA denied your disability claim, our advocates and legal experts can help you pursue another option.

The Immigration and Nationality Act allows individuals born in other countries or states to gain US citizenship via US military service. You should know that in some cases, you can obtain citizenship without going through the standard preliminary step of obtaining a US green card. This will help you get the benefits you need to lead a stable and happy life.

The exact legal requirements and conditions depend on whether you served in the US military during peace or wartime.


Also called the green card number, the permanent resident number of a naturalized US citizen is located at the bottom of the back of the green card. It is in the first line of a string of 90 characters.

If you’re a US green card holder and have served in the military, you may find yourself in need of government benefits if you sustained an injury during your service. As a result, you may consider applying for VA disability benefits.

Let Veterans Help Group Fight for Your Legal Right to Receive Benefits

A Veterans Help Group, our VA advocates, and experts can help you avoid many common issues and challenges that prevent veterans from securing benefits or compensation on appeal. If you have a service-connected disability or mental health condition, such as depression or PTSD, contact the advocates at Veterans Help Group today to ease your burden and get peace of mind.

Our team knows the system and knows how to make your disability claim as strong as possible. If you do not have a permanent resident number, our Florida disability advocates will help you pursue the best option to secure compensation.

The team of Florida VA advocates and legal professionals at Veterans Help Group has helped veterans in Florida and across the US file for disability benefits for many years.

Please call us at 855-855-8992 or get started with our free case evaluation tool. We have supported veterans in getting the benefits they deserve since 1995 and can help you file or appeal your disability claim.



  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.