Air Force Airmen Exposed to Agent Orange from C-123 Aircraft

The VA has acknowledged that if you flew on—or worked with—C-123 aircrafts in Vietnam or other locations, you may have been exposed to Agent Orange.  These aircrafts were used to spray Agent Orange in and around Vietnam and elsewhere. Moreover, these planes still had traces of the chemical in them afterward while they were being used, up until 1986.

Can I get VA disability benefits?

You may be eligible for VA disability benefits if:

  • You were on active duty personnel in a regular USAF unit location where a contaminated C-123 was assigned who had regular contact with the aircraft through flight, ground, or medical duties between 1969 and 1986, and who developed an Agent Orange related disability.
  • You were a reservists who was assigned to flight, ground, or medical crew duties at the following locations between 1969 and 1986, and who developed an Agent Orange related disability.
  • Lockbourne/Rickenbacker Air Force Base in Ohio (906th and 907th Tactical Air Groups or 355th and 356th Tactical Airlift Squadron)
  • Westover Air Force Base in Massachusetts (731st Tactical Air Squadron and 74th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron)
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, International Airport (758th Airlift Squadron)

What kind of disability benefits can I get?

In addition to health care coverage, veterans may file a claim for disability compensation for health problems they believe are related to exposure to Agent Orange residue on post-Vietnam C-123 airplanes.

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to file a claim for disability compensation.  You can do this online at When you file, you’ll need to provide evidence that you served show that you had exposure to Agent Orange while serving in the military.

You can upload supporting documents along with your online application, including:

  • Discharge or separation papers (DD214 or other separation documents)
  • USAF Form 2096 (unit where you were assigned at the time of the training action)
  • USAF Form 5 (aircraft flight duties)
  • USAF Form 781 (aircraft maintenance duties)
  • Dependency records (marriage certificate and children’s birth certificates)
  • Medical evidence (like a doctor’s report or medical test results)

What if I need help filing my claim?

Call the VA’s C-123 Hotline: 1-800-749-8387.

If your claim has bee denied or you are not satisfied with your disabiltiy rating, contact us today.

More Articles

Federal Court Addresses PTSD Stressors

A recent decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit confirms that VA must apply a generous standard when evaluating the lay testimony of veterans suffering from PTSD concerning their combat experiences and PTSD stressors. Sanchez-Navarro v....

Permanent and Total VA Disability Ratings for PTSD

What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)? Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that develops in some people who have experienced a shocking, scary, or dangerous event. Symptoms of PTSD usually begin within three months of the...

Depression And Your VA Claim

Depression can negatively affect every aspect of your life: how you feel, think, sleep, function, and interact with others. According to the National Alliance on Mental Health Issues, about 14% of veterans suffer from depression. Depression is one of the most common...

Four Tips On How To Get The Highest PTSD Rating

If you have been fortunate enough to have been granted service connection for PTSD, then you have probably been given a disappointingly low rating.  This is a very common situation so you are not alone. The VA regularly underrates PTSD claims.  In the...


  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.