What is a Urinary Tract Infection?
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of the urinary system. The urinary system includes the following:
- Kidneys which filter blood and generate body waste in the form of urine
- Ureters are tubes that carry urine from kidneys to the bladder
- Bladder which collects and stores urine
- Urethra which is the tube that carries urine from the bladder outside the body
The majority of infections involve the lower urinary tract, the bladder and urethra. UTIs don’t always cause symptoms but when they do, they include:
- A strong, persistent urge to urinate
- A burning sensation when urinating
- Passing frequent, small amounts of urine
- Urine that appears cloudy
- Urine that appears red, bright pink, or cola-colored
- Strong smelling urine
- Pelvic Pain
If the UTI spreads to the kidneys, it might cause:
- A high fever
- Mental disorientation
To be rated for a UTI, the UTI must be recurrent. This means it is a Chronic UTI. These are infection that either don’t respond to treatment or keep recurring.
How to Get VA Disability Rating?
To establish a service connection for gout veterans must demonstrate: (1) a current diagnosis of recurring UTIs; (2) an in-service event, injury, or illness; and (3) a medical link between the current diagnosis and in-service event.
How are Urinary Tract Infections Rated?
- 30% Rating: If the condition causes regular infections that require hospitalization 3 or more times a year OR if it requires serious continuous treatment
- 10% Rating: If the condition requires regular drug therapy, 1 or 2 hospitalizations a year, or if it requires serious continuous treatment.
Veterans Help Group have been supporting veterans in getting the benefits they deserve since 1995. If you or a loved one served, and suffer from urinary tract infections, we are here to help. Call Veterans Help Group at 855-855-8992 or complete our free veterans benefits case evaluation form.
VA Benefits Explained
VA Benefits Explained Veterans disability benefits can provide much-needed financial support and...
Soldiers’ Angels Teams Up with Veterans Help Group to Advocate for South Carolina Veterans
Soldiers’ Angels Teams Up with Veterans Help Group to Advocate for South Carolina Veterans The...
Sleep Apnea – What to Know If You Were Exposed to Burn Pits
Sleep Apnea - What to Know If You Were Exposed to Burn Pits Recently, the passage of the PACT Act...