Military Records And What Happens If They Are Missing?

Military Records and What Happens if They are Missing

Where to Get Military Records

The National Archives’ National Personnel Center (NPRC) stores military records of individual military service pertaining to former military service members who no longer have a service obligation. Records are usually transferred to the NPRC within 6 months of discharge or retirement.

Veterans or next of kin can visit the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) website to start the records request process. Many service records can be requested electronically through their website as long as the veteran or next of kin has the social security number, service number, dates of service, along with some other basic information.

What is in the Records?

Military personnel records are primarily administrative records and can contain information such as:

  • Enlistment/appointment
  • Duty stations and assignments
  • Training, qualifications, and performance
  • Awards and medals
  • Disciplinary actions
  • Insurance
  • Emergency data
  • Administrative remarks
  • Separation/discharge/retirement
  • Other personnel actions

How Did Records Get Destroyed?

On July 12, 1973, a fire broke out at the NPRC in St. Louis, Missouri. The fire destroyed service records for veterans of the Air Force and Army. According to the VA, 80% of the records discharged from the Army between November 1, 1912 and January 1, 1960 were destroyed in the fire. Additionally, the VA believes that 75% of the records for veterans discharged from the Air Force between September 25, 1947 and January 1, 1964 were destroyed with last names beginning with Hubbard all the way through Z. Overall, and estimated 16-18 million official military personnel files were destroyed.

What Happens if the NPRC Cannot Find Military Records?

If the NPRC cannot find a veterans records, the will attempt to reconstruct them by reaching out to other facilities that may have them. Veterans who were impacted by the fire will not be able get all of their service records. Veterans who are looking to reconstruct their service records will have to fill out NA Form 13055, Request for Information Needed to Reconstruct Medical Data.

Call Veterans Help Group at 855-855-8992 or complete our free veterans benefits case evaluation form.


More Articles

What Causes PTSD to be Triggered in Veterans?

In the past 15 years, the estimated number of veterans who have been diagnosed with PTSD currently numbers more than 500,000. As many as 60,000 of these veterans are Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans. Estimates show more than 20% to 30% of veterans...

Federal Court Addresses PTSD Stressors

A recent decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit confirms that VA must apply a generous standard when evaluating the lay testimony of veterans suffering from PTSD concerning their combat experiences and PTSD stressors. Sanchez-Navarro v....

Permanent and Total VA Disability Ratings for PTSD

What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)? Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that develops in some people who have experienced a shocking, scary, or dangerous event. Symptoms of PTSD usually begin within three months of the...

Depression And Your VA Claim

Depression can negatively affect every aspect of your life: how you feel, think, sleep, function, and interact with others. According to the National Alliance on Mental Health Issues, about 14% of veterans suffer from depression. Depression is one of the most common...


  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.